DARYL' S DEN

Saturday, September 02, 2006

I completely lost my blog

Everything is gone. but here is my last postWell, here's another post about my trip out west.
On saturday Ellen and I visited Taos pueblo, just north of town. I was a little unsure, I felt like I was intruding on peoples homes, but it's not set up like that. All the real homes are away and off limits, what is open is very tourist oriented, but interesting anyway. We got there fairly early, and that is the way to do it, before the crowds and buses arrive. This way we could talk to people on a more personal level.
The old village is in two halves, with a large plaza between. I knew better than to walk straight across the plaza (it's bad manners), but obviously many did not, or didn't care. It's thought provoking knowing these buildings were lived in before the english settled Jamestown (with many rebuildings, I'm sure).
Many of the villagers have set up small stores, where they sell arts and crafts, food and drink, and the like. We found the quality of the work to be mostly quite high, and they were willing to talk about it to us (it may have helped that Ellen is obviously part native).
One gentleman was making the best frybread I have ever had! He said he had worked on it for years, and even his grandmother said it was great.
There was one store that advertised itself as a Mirabel store, and we were surprised to find that it belonged to Robert Mirabel himself, and his brother Patrick!
Roberts Nammys (Native American Music Awards) were displayed, along with other awards and many photos with celebrities. He was out of town, but we talked to his brother, who often plays with him, and even got a short, private flute performance. WOW!
Of course, we had to buy some CDs.
Altogether, it was really worth it, especially as part of a trip that included excavation at a site where their ancestor pueblos lived (maybe not the people of Taos exactly, but still) and seeing how they lived at the time of the spanish entrada.
After this trip, I spent the afternoon shopping in town (a shoppers paradise), and had dinner again that night with Ellen and Richard.
The next day I was up early and off to Crow Canyon Archaeological Center in Cortez, Colorado to spend the week digging.
But that's for another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home